Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Jewelry Box Redo

Before:  Jewelry Box I got at a thrift store for 1.50
I pulled everything out of it.  The organizer things are glued in very well so be careful to not break them
Before I painted, I took off all the hardware, I took out the glass, handles and part of the hinges.  I chose (actually my daughter chose) a paint color.  I used acrylic paint, spray paint may have worked a little better I just used what I had.  I painted everything that would show when you opened it.
My fabric choice.  Choose a fabric you want on the inside of your box.  If your box is in good shape, which mine was, you wouldn't have to change out the inside.  I wanted it to be a little bit more fun and colorful.  I am so glad I did.
When I got all the pieces out I covered them with fabric.  For the drawer, cut the bottom off of your pieces by about 1/8-1/4 of an inch so the drawer will be able to slide in due to the added fabric.  I put the long pieces in first and then on the sides I also need to trim down the side to make them narrower so they would fit in.  Some of this is trial and error.  I had to adjust mine after I got them covered.  I hadn't thought about the added fabric.

  
Put all of the pieces back in.  I used a glue gun for all of this.  I love the way the fabric looks on the inside.  I didn't match stripes throughout.  I would suggest using an allover print fabric so you wouldn't have to try to match.

The finished product.  I love the way it turned out.  So does my daughter.  This project did take about 1-1 1/2 hours to complete, but well worth my time.







15 comments:

  1. Super cute! I am stopping by from Tuesday Tap-Along.
    -Mama E
    www.homeandheartsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Poppin' in from Tuesday Tag to be your newest follower. Hope you can swing by mine! Have a great week!

    Bridgette Groschen
    The Groschen Goblins
    www.groschengoblins.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also poppin' in from Tuesday Tag.....You have some pretty cool projects here and I can't wait to try some:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! My daughter would be thrilled to own that! Anything pink and she has to have it! ;)

    I'd love for you to check out my blog for a CSN give away! Have a wonderful day! alittleknickknack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks great - I wouldn't have been brave enough to tackle the inside! thanks for stopping by Take-A-Look Tuesday on SugarBee Craft Edition! Mandy, www.craftedition.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. From ho-hum...to HOW CUTE! Looks great! Thanks for joining us for Anything Related!
    ~Bridgette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally love this! I'm keeping my eye open for a thrifty jewel box to make over. Thanks for the tutorial. And thanks for my first award. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great! I'm following from Tuesday Tag-Along. Love to see what else you do! Hope you get a chance to stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. $1.50!?! Woot woot! Super cute transformation :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, so very cute. I bought some jewelry boxes for my girls with plans to paint them and then got scared of taking it all apart. (decorating ADD on my part...) you have inspired me to go through with it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! I totally love this! What a transformation! Thanks for linking up and sharing your creative juices :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very sweet! What little girl wouldn't love that pink jewelry box. Thanks for sharing it with us at the POPP.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ok...seriously cute!!! I love anything pink right now...and this is just perfect! You did a great job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I remember that I have seen yours before. I remember this jewelry box, because I did one too! I love the fabric you chose for the inside!

    ReplyDelete