Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, June 4, 2010

Auction Items for Reunion

Some of you might be wondering "what the heck are auction items".  In my family, every year we have a family reunion.  One the of things we do while together has become one of the most exciting for many family members.  After lunch on the last day (usually a Saturday), we have an auction.  The money raised goes towards the costs of the reunion.  We have been doing this for about 5 years now and it gets a little bigger every year.

How it works:

When we send out our invitations for the reunion we put a little reminder that we are having an auction and to be working on your stuff.  We try to do this because we do mostly handmade items.  It can be anything you can make and some store bought stuff pops in too (mostly candy).  We have had jewelry, purses, aprons, bridles, cookies, fudge, caramel apples, jerky, Christmas ornaments, pillowcases, coupons for babysitting, really the items cover a wide range of stuff.

In the past, I have made some pleated purses, homemade candy, crocheted scarves, clothes, I can't remember but a variety of things.  This year I actually started a box of stuff that I come across or make for the auction.  When it is done, I put it in the box.  That way I won't have to remember where I put it all.  This year I am making freezer paper tshirts, a table runner with appliques, a bag, and a few other things.  I will post pictures after I get them all done.  So far I have one tshirt done.  It is really fun for the kids.  In fact I think they like it the most.  Every year we have raised about 400-500 dollars.  That pays for our camping sites and part of the food.  It works out for everyone I think.  

Here is one shirt.  I think it turned out cute.  The colors are corally orange, yellow, and a dark purpley plum.  I tried to do these freezer paper style and that worked but the spray paint did not work.  It bled everywhere and I got overspray.  Big mess.  What I did was use acrylic paint and added 1 part of fabric medium to 2 parts paint.  Mixed it up and painted away.  What the medium does is allow the fabric to be washed and to be permanent.  My family made a quilt  7 years ago for my parents for the 40th anniversary with everyone's handprints on and it has been washed several years and not a single one has faded.

Anyway, the paint and medium together worked like a charm.  I have a few more to go and it is so much fun.  My daughter thinks it is great also.  She always wants to help with everything.  Love her.

So look forward to a future post with the rest of my auctions items on display.

1 comment:

  1. I like the fun colors you used! Very cute! Thanks so much for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete